Thursday 16 June 2022

Campaign reply - Please support a ban on snares


Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate you writing to me about the issue of banning animal snares.

 

As a pet-owner and animal lover myself, I must agree with you that the abuse faced by animals who are caught in free-running snares is appalling. The negligence of humans should not inflict suffering on defenceless creatures.

 

However, my commitment to animal welfare goes beyond rhetoric. I was proud to support and be a member on the committee of the Animal Welfare (Kept Animals) Bill. This bill achieved a few things, but chief among them was ensuring the safety of animals by implementing stricter checks on imported pets. Before this bill, pets were often brought over to the UK in substandard or outright inhumane conditions. Now, there is far greater oversight into this process, and illegal smuggling has gone down dramatically.

 

Your description of the horrors imposed on innocent animals by free-running snares is eye-opening. It is alarming that these snares, often designated for feral animals like foxes, could potentially maim or kill people’s beloved domestic pets. I agree that something must be done about this. Since I have worked closely with my colleagues on many issues pertaining to the welfare of animals, I have a good working relationship with several people close to this cause. I will pass on your message to the relevant minister, and when I receive a response about potential solutions, I will write you back.

 

Thank you once again for getting in touch, and if I can be of further assistance with any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment