Friday 24 June 2022

Campaign reply - Please back fuller protections for animals in Wales

Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate you writing to me about the issue of banning animal snares.

As you may know, animal welfare is an issue that is devolved to the Welsh government. However, this is an important issue to me. As a pet-owner and animal lover myself, I must agree with you that the abuse faced by animals who are caught in free-running snares is appalling. The negligence of humans should not inflict suffering on defenceless creatures.

My commitment to animals is evidenced by the legislation I have been involved in. I was proud to support and be a member on the committee of the Animal Welfare (Kept Animals) Bill. This bill ensured the safety of animals being brought into the UK. Before this bill, pets were often brought over to the UK in substandard or outright inhumane conditions. Now, illegal smuggling has plummeted and the welfare of these animals is improved.

Snares are a barbaric tool, especially when one considers how prone they are to maiming and killing domesticated animals. Since I have worked closely with my colleagues on many issues pertaining to the welfare of animals, I have a good working relationship with several people close to this cause. I will continue to advocate for the improved treatment of animals, and would absolutely approve of the Welsh Government doing something about this issue.

Thank you once again for getting in touch, and if I can be of further assistance with any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment