Thursday 2 June 2022

Campaign reply - Don't turn a blind eye to puppy smuggling

Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate you writing to me about the Dog’s Trust campaign. 

I was proud to campaign for and support the Animal Welfare (Sentencing) Bill. The UK has by and large always been a nation of animal lovers and I am delighted to have seen the Government announce its support for this Bill, which gives tougher sanctions for people who abuse pets. As a dog owner, we owe it to our four-legged friends and pets of all varieties to be their voices and ensure people who do abuse them are punished appropriately.

Regarding the matter of the Animal Welfare (Kept Animals) Bill, this is a piece of legislation that I strongly support. It is important that we are able to confront this important issue, as the Bill addresses the issue of illegal puppy imports by introducing an enabling power to apply restrictions to imports of certain pet animals (dogs, cats and ferrets) on welfare grounds through secondary legislation. The Bill amends retained direct EU legislation to decrease the number of pets that can travel in a single non-commercial movement.

As a committee member for this Bill, it is my duty to consider the specific aspects of the lawmaking process. Your point about the importance of physical checks when a dog is brought into the country is well taken. It seems perfectly reasonable that such a provision might be included into the Bill. Anything that will lead to a higher welfare for animals is a welcome addition to this legislation. I will send a letter to the relevant Minister to discuss this possibility. When I receive a reply about my inquiry, I will let you know as soon as I can. 

Thank you once again for getting in touch, and if I can be of further assistance with any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment