Wednesday 25 May 2022

Column 26 May 2022 - Good news for our police and education

Last week saw two really excellent announcements and good news for communities on the north and south coasts of Truro and Falmouth.

Firstly, after years of hard work, I was delighted to confirm that Perranporth will get a new secondary school, which is due to open in September 2025.

This is something I have been working hard on, with the excellent team at Cornwall Council and the Department for Education, since shortly after my election in 2019. Lack of school places for the communities on the north coast of our constituency was one of the top issues raised with me on the doors during that campaign, along with the pressure that Truro’s schools were under, and so finding a site for a new secondary school was very important.

The site for this school is due to be near Liskey Hill in Perranporth, subject to planning permission, and it will provide up to 1,350 places. The school is due to open by September 2025 and will be part of Truro and Penwith Academy Trust, which supports twenty-nine infant, primary and secondary schools across Cornwall including schools in Perranporth, Mithian and Blackwater. The new school will take students from the Perranporth, St Agnes, Cubert, Goonhavern, Holywell, St Newlyn East, Newquay and Truro area.

I am over the moon with this progress. In 2020, after months of discussion, it was confirmed that I had secured a new secondary school for this constituency as part of the Government’s Free School Programme. This is huge news for local families in and around this part of the North Coast and I look forward to seeing the plans in the near future.

Then on Friday there was some fantastic news for Falmouth, when our Police and Crime Commissioner Alison Hernandez confirmed that the Falmouth Police Station enquiry desk, which has been closed since 2014, will reopen.

With the rise of anti-social behaviour and violence against women and girls in particular, I am pleased to see my work with our Police and Crime Commissioner Alison Hernandez to re-open Falmouth Police Station’s front desk, something which I have campaigned on since my election in 2019, has been successful. In recent meetings with our local police I have been told that they are on course to have more police officers by 2023 than they have ever had before, and it is only right that these officers will be able to rely on public facing facilities in police stations like Falmouth, to help them in their work fighting crime.

The reopening of Falmouth Police Station’s enquiry desk was one of the top things I raised with PCC Hernandez when I met her in the constituency and it is good to see plans are now in place to re-open these crucial elements of our local policing to the public.

These two announcements are just two ways in which long-running work by me as part of the Conservative team that represents Cornwall at county and government level are delivering for you, and I look forward to continuing with my positive work for you in the future.

As ever, if you need my assistance with anything then my team and I are here to help. Please get in touch with me by email at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk , or by telephone on 01872 229698. My regular constituency advice surgeries are held in a covid-safe environment at my office, so please do get in touch should you wish to meet me about any matters that I can be of assistance with.

No comments:

Post a Comment