Thursday 12 May 2022

Campaign reply - Worrying report into the future of higher education in the UK

Thank you for contacting my office. I very much appreciate you getting in touch about the University College Union's (UCU) report into the future of the higher education system. 

I would like to assure you that the work of university staff, and the higher education sector is greatly appreciated by the Government, particularly during the recent challenging times. It is also fantastic to see the innovating research that is coming out of our higher education institutions, including life saving treatments and vaccines. 

I read the report by the UCU with great interest and have noted the concerns raised by university staff over pay, pensions and working conditions. I am aware that universities are independent institutions, and as such are responsible for their own decisions on employment contracts and pay and pension provision. However, of course, the Department for Education expects universities, like all employers, to treat their staff fairly and with respect, with particular consideration to their obligations under the Equality Act 2010. 

I understand that the Pensions Regulator is currently working with the University Superannuation Scheme, Universities UK and a rank of stakeholders to find solutions to the ongoing disputes over pay and pensions. I also have welcomed calls from the Universities and Colleges Employers Association for the UCU to engage in salary negotiation rounds that take place at the end of March 2022. 

I would once again like to say how valued the higher education institutions in this country are – including our important universities in Falmouth - and I will continue to monitor this issue closely. 

Thank you once again for getting in touch, and if I can be of further assistance with any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment