Saturday 21 May 2022

Campaign reply - Jim Fitton

Thank you for contacting my office. I very much appreciate you getting in touch about Jim Fitton, a British national detained in Iraq, about whom I share your concern. 

Through their global network, consular staff at the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) endeavour to give appropriate and tailored support to British nationals overseas and their families in the UK 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

While, due to data protection regulations, the FCDO cannot share details of Mr Fitton’s case with third parties without his consent, they have confirmed that they are providing consular support. What the FCDO can and cannot provide to British nationals abroad, including in the event of detention, is set out in 'Support for British Nationals Abroad: A Guide', available on gov.uk. 

The FCDO has also confirmed that it has raised concerns with the Iraqi authorities regarding the possible imposition of the death penalty in Mr Fitton’s case. The UK opposes the use of the death penalty under all circumstances and in all countries as a matter of principle. I know that the FCDO will continue to make this clear to the Iraqi authorities, including in relation to Mr Fitton's case. 

FCDO Minister, James Cleverly, responded to an Urgent Question in Parliament on Mr Fitton on 11 May. I am satisfied by his remarks that the FCDO has and is doing all it can to support him. Nevertheless, I will press the FCDO on this matter on behalf of you and other constituents who have contacted me.

Thank you once again for getting in touch, and if I can be of further assistance with any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment