Friday 6 May 2022

Campaign reply - Time to rethink the UK aid cuts

Thank you for contacting my office. I very much appreciate you getting in touch about UK spending on foreign aid, otherwise known as Official Development Assistance (ODA).

Ministers had to take many tough but necessary decisions in responding to the pandemic, this included reducing our ODA budget from 0.7 to 0.5 per cent of the UK's gross national income (GNI). Nevertheless, I am encouraged that, spending 0.5 per cent, the UK's ODA commitment remains considerably higher than the OEDC average, which stood at 0.33 per cent in 2021/22. Likewise, that, spending just under £11.5 billion in 2021/22 on our ODA priorities, the UK was the fourth largest national ODA donor in absolute terms in 2021/22.

 

I have been assured that the UK will return to spending 0.7 per cent on ODA as soon as the fiscal situation allows, and am pleased that the Chancellor has provided a clear measure for this: (1) when we are not borrowing to support day-to-day spending; and (2) when underlying debt is falling. I think this is the most economically prudent way in which to return to satisfying the 0.7 per cent target in light of the prevailing circumstances. 

I am glad that Government, recognising the strength of feeling felt by many Members across the House on this matter – and even though it was not necessarily obliged to do so by the International Development (Official Development Assistance Target) Act 2015 – last year gave Parliament a meaningful vote on its decision. I am glad that Parliament, recognising the need to manage the public finances responsibly and maintain strong investment in domestic public services in places like Truro and Falmouth, voted to approve the Government’s plans by a handsome margin.

 

I appreciate your renewed concern for ODA cut in light of recent events, but I remain persuaded by the necessity of this measure. On Ukraine, I would note that the UK has provided £220m in ODA in response to the crisis, second only to the US. This is in addition to a broad package of non-ODA support, economic and military.

 

Nevertheless, I will ensure that ministers are aware of the points you have raised.


Thank you once again for getting in touch, and if I can be of further assistance with any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment