Monday 6 November 2023

Newspaper Column 06th November 2023 - Supporting the village pub

In Parliament this week we will see the first King’s Speech from King Charles III. However due to press deadlines I won’t be able to cover the various announcements that will come from this speech, which will set out the Government’s priorities over the coming months, so I will revisit that next week.

The other big event in Parliament this month will be the Autumn Statement, which will be delivered by the Chancellor Jeremy Hunt on 22 November. The Chancellor will update MPs on the country's finances and the government's plans for tax and public spending.

In the run up to this, I will be making representations to the Chancellor asking that the Autumn Statement recognises the vital importance of the village pub.

In so many of our villages in Cornwall, the village pub is the heart of the community, providing so much more than a place to eat and drink, but a venue for social events, with some even hosting other amenities such as post-office services, community libraries and village shop facilities.

Pubs such as the Pheasant in St Newlyn East, The Plume of Feathers in Portscatho and Mitchell, The King’s Head in Ruan Lanihorne, The Barleysheaf in Gorran Churchtown which will be coming into our constituency following the next election, The Tywarnhayle Inn at Perranporth, and The New Inn in Veryan, The Kings Arms in Tregony along with so many more, all fulfil a key role in their community.  The Hawkins Arms in Probus even opened its doors to provide a community hub during Storm Ciaran last week!

These are difficult times though, and people and businesses everywhere are having to tighten their belts. This hits pubs on two fronts, and I hear from landlords who are struggling both due to increased operating costs, but also fewer people visiting due to the decrease in disposable income.

I believe we as a government should do all we can to support our hardworking pub landlords and their teams, I will be writing to the Chancellor asking for him to consider a range of measures to help pubs. For example, this could include a reduction of VAT and/or business rates, to build on reduced draught tax we already have.

I hope the Government will listen and act accordingly. In the meantime, I encourage everyone to use your local pub and support this vital part of our business community.

Finally, this weekend, our nation will stop to commemorate Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday, a pause to reflect and look back on the heroic sacrifice of all who serve and particularly those who gave their lives during times of conflict so that we could remain free. I will be joining Civic Services in Truro and Falmouth to pay my respects and would like to take the opportunity to thank all who serve or who have served.

As always, I am fully focused on the job at hand and if there is ever anything at all I can do to help, then please do not hesitate to contact me. Please get in touch with me by email at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk, or by telephone on 01872 229698. My regular constituency advice surgeries are held in a covid-safe environment at my office, so please do get in touch should you wish to meet me about any matters that I can be of assistance with.

No comments:

Post a Comment