Thursday 15 February 2024

Newspaper Column 13th February 2024 - National Apprenticeship Week, and the Prime Minister's visit to Falmouth

Last week was National Apprentice Week, an opportunity to promote the really great work done by employers and further education providers around the country in providing practical education to people who can earn while they learn, through an apprenticeship course.

Over 70 per cent of careers are now accessible via an apprenticeship and the Government has delivered over 5.7 million apprenticeships since 2010.

 

We have loads of really excellent companies offering apprenticeships in Truro and Falmouth, and on Thursday last week, I was delighted to show Rishi Sunak the Prime Minister around A&P, whose Falmouth facility is the largest ship-repair complex in the UK.

 

I introduced the Prime Minister to around 200 members of their staff from all departments including their apprentices and held a question and answer session with them. 

 

The questions asked were wide ranging and included, how could apprenticeships be advertised in schools better, to how could more women be encouraged into what is primarily male dominated roles.

 

I walked with the management team of A&P and the Prime Minister outside to where he was shown the site of where they hope the proposed FLOWMISS project will go if the bid for Government funding is successful, and A&P have been awarded £900,000 from the Shared Prosperity Fund and £12m ZEVI fund to carry out preparatory work for this and to start electrifying the port. 

 

I know the Prime Minister was impressed with A&P, the culture and the workforce,  and enjoyed his visit.  He hopes to return to Cornwall when the weather is better! I will continue to work hard to promote apprenticeships in general as well as the excellent work being done by A&P as we go through 2024 and beyond.

 

With all the changeable last week, it was somewhat appropriate that on Friday I welcomed the Minister responsible flooding, among other things, to our constituency.

 

I was pleased to accompany DEFRA Minister Robbie Moore to a farmers’ roundtable with him locally at a farm near the north coast.  The issues were far reaching but the main theme was how to utilise the new payment system for farmers so it was beneficial.  One farmer explained that if he ordered fence stakes, as soon as the supplier knew he was receiving more in payments then they increased their prices.  The Minister has promised to take these issues back to Westminster and look at them in more detail, particularly the issues around farms in Cornwall being smaller than elsewhere in the country so the rules do not help us.  I will ensure I feed back replies from the Minister to the farmers and as it was so well received will arrange further meetings like this in the future.

 

Minister Moore then accompanied me to the storm overflow at St Agnes where we met with representatives from South West Water who explained the processes they have in place to monitor water quality.  South West Water explained how the system operated and included the pumping station up above the beach.  I asked how many spills they had a year and currently it is around 40, the vast majority of which are not untreated sewage.  However, I still believe it is 40 too many. I also asked if they could make the most up to date information available to all as this would help water users know when the water is safe, swimmers like myself who find this exercise beneficial.

 

As your busy and active constituency MP it is always good to be able to highlight local concerns like this to the people at the very top of the Government, something which I did last week and will continue to work hard to ensure Cornwall gets the funding and support we deserve!

 

As always, I am fully focused on the job at hand and if there is ever anything at all I

can do to help, then please do not hesitate to contact me. Please get in touch with

me by email at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk, or by telephone on 01872

229698. My regular constituency advice surgeries are held in a covid-safe

environment at my office, so please do get in touch should you wish to meet me

about any matters that I can be of assistance with.

No comments:

Post a Comment