Friday 9 April 2021

Sewage (Inland Waters) Bill Campaign Response

Thank you to the many constituents who have recently go in touch with me regarding The Sewage (Inland Waters) Bill.

I am pleased to say that I very much support the Bill and you will be able to see my name in the link provided in the campaign email:

https://www.sas.org.uk/EndSewagePollution-SewageBill

Unfortunately, as a consequence of Covid-19 on the Parliamentary timetable, the Second Reading debate for the Bill will not be progressing in this parliamentary session. The Bill could conceivably be re-introduced in some form in the next Parliamentary session. The Bill will have my support once again when re-introduced.

I do have good news however. Philip Dunne has been working with officials at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) to find a way following their announcement in January of supporting the objectives of the Bill to clean up water quality in our rivers. He has been pressing them to turn their statement into action and the government has recently made further announcements to introduce measures to give this effect.

This is a significant step forward, giving clarity over three areas where the government intends to introduce legislation, namely to:

 

· publish a plan by September 2022 to reduce sewage discharges from storm overflows;

 

· report to Parliament on progress on implementing the plan; and

 

· publish data on storm overflow operation on an annual basis.

I have been working alongside Philip Dunne in my role on the Environmental Audit Committee where we have been conducting an inquiry into Water Quality of Rivers. I am confident that any recommendations which emerge will feed in to further government responses, in parallel with the continuing work of the Storm Overflow Task Force.

Although the Bill is not proceeding into statute as drafted, I believe that it has already helped raise public and political awareness of the long neglected issues of sewage pollution. I look forward to working on the continued drive working towards clean and safe waterways.

I would like to thank Surfers Against Sewage based in our constituency for their efforts in this campaign, it is greatly appreciated. I will continue to work closely with them on this extremely important issue.

If you would like to discuss this further or any other matter, then please do not hesitate to contact me.

cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment