Thursday 23 April 2020

Newspaper column 23 April - Covid-19 update 6


We are now in the fifth week of lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As I thought last week, on Thursday the Government confirmed they were extending lockdown for at least another three weeks, pushing it into the middle of May at the very least.

This week Parliament has started sitting again, although in an another unprecedented move, it is doing so virtually, meaning that the vast majority of MPs will not be in the Chamber of the House of Commons but instead logging on via their device and asking questions remotely. This is a massive change to Parliament but it will be good to be back doing a major part of our job again, even if it isn’t in the usual setting.

I continue to be a part of regular virtual meetings with my MP colleagues and Cornwall Council in order to ensure we try to provide as much support as possible for residents and businesses at this difficult time.

Some notable successes last week included persuading Cornwall Council to temporarily fund the vital King Harry Ferry service that links the Roseland to the Falmouth and Penryn side of the River Fal, something which is critical for key-workers. Cornwall Council will be claiming the money it has spent on this back from the Government so there is no extra cost to the Cornish taxpayer. I am pleased to have worked with them and the ferry company to resolve this.

I have also been contacted by a number of work hubs/shared workspaces who were not getting support from Cornwall Council due to their interpretation of the guidance. I have been pleased to have worked with Cornwall Council to get them to allow discretion to allow business rates support on these cases.

Constituents continue to contact me with concerns of holiday accommodation remaining open. Cornwall Council has been very thorough in investigating everything that has been reported to them, and has closed down holiday accommodation where appropriate. I would encourage anyone who still has concerns to report them via Cornwall Council’s dedicated email address covid19@cornwall.gov.uk

My information leaflet about COVID-19 has been sent out via the Royal Mail this week. It is not a political or campaign leaflet and contains all the relevant information about COVID-19. From Government guidance to local contact numbers and more. If, for whatever reason, you do not receive a leaflet then please just let me know and I will get one to you. Not everyone has social media or access to the internet, so I thought it was really important to get something through everyone’s letterbox in order to reach as many people as possible.

Last week I wrote an open letter to all NHS staff, care workers, teachers and all other key workers on the front line from Cherilyn Mackrory MP thanking them for their continued efforts in keeping us safe and keeping the country running. Thank you to everyone for playing their part, continuing to follow the Government guidance and keeping our communities safe, we will get through this together.

My team and I are here to help during this crisis. You can email me at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk, call me on 0207 2193713 (messages will be picked up), and my website www.cherilynmackrory.org.uk and Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thisischerilyn are all regularly updated with matters relating both to the current crisis and other useful news and information. Please do get in touch if you need any help or have questions for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment