Thursday 16 April 2020

Newspaper column 16 April 2020 - COVID Update 5


I hope everyone was able to take some time to relax and reflect over the Easter Weekend. The weather was amazing, but it was good to see the vast majority of people following Government advice and staying at home.

We are now in the fourth week of lockdown. As I write this on Tuesday it appears that the Government will shortly be extending the lockdown for another three weeks.

As I wrote earlier, the overwhelming majority of people stayed at home over the Easter weekend and understood the importance of denying Coronavirus the social contact it needs to spread. People should be in no doubt that by staying home they have ensured vital capacity for the NHS, meaning that our NHS services do not become overwhelmed with pressure.

 We are beginning to see some positive signs in the data, which is why it is important that everyone continues to follow the advice: stay home, protect our NHS, save lives.

I am in regular contact with RCH Treliske and am pleased to hear they have capacity in their wards, as well as enough Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) for their staff.

One thing that has been raised with me is that the hospital is still able to receive patients for medical emergencies that are not COVID-19 related. Treliske has, for example had far fewer admissions from people suffering from heart attacks and strokes in recent weeks. You can and should still go to Treliske if you have medical emergencies and I would certainly advise anyone with concerns to do so.

My continued thanks goes to everyone who is supporting the lockdown efforts, whether that is by staying at home whenever possible, or if you are a key-worker, going out there and doing your job, helping keep our country going at this incredibly difficult time.

Thanks also to our incredible network of community volunteers who are supporting vulnerable people near where they live, either as part of community groups, through Volunteer Cornwall or via the NHS SAMs network. You are really making a huge positive difference to so many people who would otherwise be struggling.

Finally next week, households across Truro and Falmouth should be receiving my leaflet on support available locally during the COVID-19 pandemic, which will be delivered by the Royal Mail. This contains a variety of relevant contact information that I hope people will find of use in accessing help while this situation is continuing.

My team and I are here to help during this crisis. You can email me at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk, call me on 0207 2193713 (messages will be picked up), and my website www.cherilynmackrory.org.uk and Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thisischerilyn are all regularly updated with matters relating both to the current crisis and other useful news and information. Please do get in touch if you need any help or have questions for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment