Wednesday 24 January 2024

Newspaper column 21st January 2024 - Under 10 metre fisher medical license

Last week saw some real progress in a matter I have been campaigning on behalf of local fishermen about, and I wanted to take the time to share this with you in my column this week.

Fishing is certainly one of the most dangerous occupations, and the Government has rightly worked with the industry to ensure that fishermen are able to carry out their work in as safe an environment as possible.

One of the things the Government has introduced is medical certificates for fishermen.

Many under 10 metre skippers have raised concerns to me about the potential impact this medical could have to their livelihoods.  The medical is required for safety in other fishing sectors, but I was being told by our local fleet, that it was unnecessary and could see good fishermen go out of business if they fail. 

Because under 10 metre fishermen work very differently from larger commercial fishing operations the Government has taken the decision, following lobbying by myself and other MPs with affected to communities, to introduce a consultation into the use of medical certification for the under 10 metre fishing fleet, here in Cornwall and across the UK.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA), is consulting on whether to exempt those who have already been working on vessels under 10 metres for at least four weeks between 30th November 2022 and 30th November 2023; meaning true grandfather rights.  New entrants into the industry would still be expected to have a medical.

The Government is clear that the safety of everyone working in the fishing industry is paramount, but this must be achieved without causing unnecessary damage to the livelihoods of fishermen. I encourage everyone who may be affected by this to take part and make themselves heard and help to ensure our fishing industry thrives, is sustainable, and safe.

This consultation closes on 27th February 2024, and can be found online on the gov.uk website or by following the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-support-small-scale-fishing-industry-across-the-uk-in-latest-medical-consultation

If you are affected or know someone who is, please take the time to complete it.

This is another good example where an MP, after listening to the feedback from the local communities that they represent, and taking evidence, can then successfully make the case for change to the Government, and something I am really pleased to have worked on to help deliver for our fishing communities here in Truro and Falmouth.

As always, I am fully focused on the job at hand and if there is ever anything at all I can do to help, then please do not hesitate to contact me. Please get in touch with me by email at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk , or by telephone on 01872 229698. My regular constituency advice surgeries are held in a covid-safe environment at my office, so please do get in touch should you wish to meet me about any matters that I can be of assistance with.

No comments:

Post a Comment