Monday 8 January 2024

Newspaper column 08/01/2024 - Gerrans Bay seaweed farm

This week Parliament returns following the end of Christmas Recess, and I am looking forward to continuing working to progress the Government’s legislative programme on behalf of the people of Truro and Falmouth.

Prior to that, this past week I have been working hard in our constituency on a variety of local matters.

I thought I would go into detail on one issue that has had a particularly high profile over the past week locally, which was the application to the Marine Management Organisation (MMO), the non-departmental Government organisation, which exists to protect and enhance our precious marine environment, and support UK economic growth by enabling sustainable marine activities and development, for two licenses to operate a seaweed farm in Gerrans Bay off the Roseland.

The seaweed farm would have involved suspending lines 65ft (20m) apart, held in place by surface floats and anchored to the sea bed. This would have massively limited the use of the sea across a 270 acre (or 153 football pitches) site both for our fishermen, who are heavily reliant on inshore waters for their livelihoods, but also for leisure and community use, with the iconic Portscatho Regatta event, for example, taking place on these waters. It was also essentially a large industrial feature in what is currently a beautiful and unspoilt piece of coastline and marine environment that enjoys Area of Outstanding Natural beauty status under planning rules.

I was contacted by a great number of people about this issue and spoke about it last week on BBC Radio Cornwall, which you can see a link to on my Facebook page, if you would like to listen to it.

A few months ago I facilitated a meeting between fishermen on the Roseland and Biome Algae so that assurances could be made, one of which was for an Environmental Impact Assessment, which did not materialise.

As the Member of Parliament for Truro & Falmouth I have a duty to represent our friends, family and neighbours who are concerned about the future of fishing if this seaweed farm had gone ahead.

Last week, I attended the Gerrans Parish Council meeting and wrote to the MMO to ask for an extension to the public consultation on this application.  Subsequently it was announced that the consultation on the seaweed farm was extended due to concerns over the timings of the public notices for the application, giving us more time to make sure that local people are heard.

Then on Friday, I was delighted to hear from the MMO that both applications had been withdrawn. This was ultimately a successful campaign by local people, who came together as a community across a variety of platforms, to ensure their voices were heard and that the full impact of these proposals on the surrounding area was known. I was pleased to play my part in highlighting issues around the process to the MMO, and must say a huge well done to everyone involved in the campaign - a great example of what happens when a community pulls together and pushes for the outcome they all want to see.

This is just one example of some of the work that I do as your MP, even during a period where it might traditionally be quieter than usual. I hope you found it interesting, and I look forward to continuing to share examples of my work on your behalf as we move on through 2024.

As always, I am fully focused on the job at hand and if there is ever anything at all I can do to help, then please do not hesitate to contact me. Please get in touch with me by email at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk, or by telephone on 01872 229698. My regular constituency advice surgeries are held in a covid-safe environment at my office, so please do get in touch should you wish to meet me about any matters that I can be of assistance with.

No comments:

Post a Comment