Thursday 8 October 2020

Newspaper column 8 October 2020 - A new hospital

On Friday evening I was delighted to receive a call from the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Matt Hancock.

It isn’t every day that you get a Cabinet Member phoning you on a Friday night, and I was delighted when the Secretary of State gave me the news that I have been working to realising, since before my election last year, that Truro will be receiving a fully funded new woman’s and children’s hospital.

This is something that was first considered by the Prime Minister in August last year, and following my selection and election as Member of Parliament for Truro and Falmouth in December last year I have worked hard with colleagues in our local NHS and the Department of Health and Social Care to bring the plans forward and make the case for the level of funding we will receive.

The Prime Minister on Friday confirmed that 40 hospitals will be built by 2030 as part of a package worth £3.7 billion, delivering on the government’s manifesto commitment, and it was absolutely fantastic following my call with the Secretary of State, to see Truro and Falmouth, and Cornwall recognised vas part of that news.

The new building will house the children’s wards and replace the Princess Alexandra Maternity Unit at Royal Cornwall Hospital Treliske. That site will become a new multi storey car park for the hospital

The £100 million investment will see the construction of a new building between the existing Tower Block and Trelawny Wing.  This will house women’s and children’s services including maternity, neonatal care and gynaecology. 

The new hospital is fully funded and all being well, construction will begin in three years and completed in five.

This news is the culmination of a lot of hard work from many people and shows that, despite a challenging year, I am proud to be part of a Government which won’t be blown off course and will continue to deliver on its promises to both the British people, Cornwall and Truro and Falmouth.

My thanks to all have worked hard to bring this project forward even through the COVID-19 pandemic and I look forward to working with the team to make sure our new hospital is up and running as soon as possible.

As ever, I am always happy to help with any problems people or have or to answer any questions about my work.  Please get in touch with me by email at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk, by telephone on 01872 229698 or you can write to me by letter at my constituency office, which is at Lemon Chapel, William Street, Truro, TR1 2ED.

No comments:

Post a Comment