Monday 22 April 2024

Newspaper column 22nd April 2024 - Secretary of State for Education Gillian Keegan visits Truro and Falmouth

Last week I welcomed the Education Secretary, Gillian Keegan to Truro. One of the things I have been most proud of to promote during my time as Member of Parliament for Truro and Falmouth is the fantastic education opportunities available in our constituency. Whether at primary, secondary, further education or our wonderful university campuses, Truro and Falmouth offers something for everyone, at every stage of the learning journey.

One education institution that is certainly leading the way, not just in Cornwall, but across the whole country, is Truro and Penwith College, Cornwall’s leading academic further education setting. As such I have always been keen to promote the top class work that is done there to my colleagues in Government, last year memorably welcoming the Prime Minister Rishi Sunak to see the facilities.

I believe that our children deserve the best education we can provide, and Truro and Penwith college has set the benchmark by providing local, quality courses. It was a privilege to visit with the Secretary of State, and to show her the fantastic work we have done to make sure our children can access the best possible education right here in the community.

During our visit we were given a tour of the faculties by Principal Martin Tucker, where we had the chance to see the new innovations introduced by his team employed.

The Secretary of State was shown art and design, engineering, and the college’s new construction unit. Students can use this facility to learn practical skills including bricklaying and carpentry as part of their education and are working to construct a building to completion which will be finished later this year.

As a former apprentice the Secretary of State conversed knowledgably with the students about their courses and experiences at the college. She was particularly impressed with the diverse training available, as well as the accessibility of the courses, and the opportunities for local high-paid employment to follow. A very positive visit and one which I know will have given the Secretary of State a good impression of what we do so well in Cornwall.

Combined with the official opening of the STEM and Health Skills Centre Bodmin, which I also attended on the same day, which is part of Truro and Penwith College group, and heavily recommended by staff at Treliske, it is clear that in Cornwall we have an impressive, cutting edge and growing further education offer, and I will continue to do all I can to ensure those delivering it get the support they need to do so.

As always, I am fully focused on the job at hand and if there is ever anything at all I can do to help, then please do not hesitate to contact me. Please get in touch with me by email at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk, or by telephone on 01872 229698. My regular constituency advice surgeries are held at my office, so please do get in touch should you wish to meet me about any matters that I can be of assistance with.

No comments:

Post a Comment