Wednesday 20 December 2023

Newspaper column 18th December 2023 - The Christmas Recess

As I write this Parliament has just two more days to sit this week before we rise for Christmas Recess, meaning I will once again be working in our constituency before taking some time off over Christmas for the festive break.

Last week it was great to see Cornwall Council’s Cabinet back the Mid-Cornwall Metro project and accept £50million of Government Levelling Up funding to enable the project to progress.

The Mid Cornwall Metro Project is one I have backed from the outset and will provide a direct rail link for Falmouth and Penryn to Newquay and the mainline, as well as more regular trains for the whole route, thereby improving services for the communities along the way and all who wish to commute or travel for leisure to the destinations.

I was delighted to see Cornwall Council’s Cabinet back the plans at their meeting last week and now look forward to seeing the funding drawn down and put to work to realise this fantastic project from next year.

Meanwhile in Parliament, as I wrote about last week, it was good to see the Government’s Rwanda Bill pass through the first stage of voting in the House of Commons. I know that so many of you are passionate about the absolute priority that we must give to cracking down on illegal immigration by stopping the boats, and I was pleased to support the Prime Minister and our Government in voting to support the passage of this bill. I will continue to support it as it goes on towards becoming law over the coming months.

Truro and Falmouth is such a special place at this time of year and it has been brilliant to be out and about around our constituency seeing the festive events and getting involved in some of the community activities in the run up to Christmas.

While I hope everyone will get some time to appreciate the meaning of Christmas and mark it in the way you choose, I would also like to thank everyone in our emergency services, armed forces and the care and service industries who will continue working throughout.

My office will close from the midday on 22nd December and reopen on 3rd January. I’d like to thank my excellent Constituency and Parliamentary team for their hard work on my behalf over another busy year. You can still email me at cheriyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk and my team and I will get back to you as soon as we are able to.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment