Tuesday 22 August 2023

Newspaper Column 22nd August 2023 - Adult Social Care in the Community

As I continue my programme of doorstep conversations throughout Truro and Falmouth this summer, some of the big issues that continue to be regularly raised with me are around adult social care, and health care provision at our hospital at Treliske.

These are both areas which are incredibly important for everyone in Cornwall, and where I have been working very hard to get the positive change that we need.

Firstly, regarding social care issues, this continues to be a real area concern in Cornwall, where we have an ageing population and stretched resources to be able to give people the care continuing care that they often need, particularly when coming out of hospital, which can lead to hospital services being used for longer than they otherwise might be due to the lack of care needed to get people home and continue to look after them there.

The care sector needs more resources, and that is why I was pleased to see the Government recently confirm that it is providing £4,248,271 for Cornwall Council to go towards funding the adult social care sector.

This is part of a further £570 million of ringfenced funding across financial years 2023 to 2024 and 2024 to 2025 to local authorities nationally to improve and increase adult social care provision, with a particular focus on workforce pay.

The Government expects this additional funding to support more workforce and capacity within the adult social care sector.

This will help to ensure that appropriate short-term and intermediate care is available to reduce avoidable admissions and support discharge of patients from hospital when they are medically fit to leave.

I look forward to seeing Cornwall Council draw down this funding and use it to support the adult social care sector and the wellbeing of people who need it in the future.

As well as working to improve the funding for our adult social care sector, since my election I have also championed the need for a Women and Children’s Hospital in Cornwall. The Government has listened and acted, and recently provided an update on its commitment to deliver 40 new hospitals by 2030 which will now be backed by over £20 billion of investment.

One of these projects is the new Women and Children’s Hospital, which will deliver improvements to patient care and be built at the heart of the Royal Cornwall Hospital site in Truro.

As the Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Baby Loss, and the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Women’s Health, I am particularly appreciative of the benefits this new facility will bring in placing all women and children’s services into one building.

Key features of the new building will include; a consultant-led birthing suite, a midwife-led birthing suite, neonatal intensive care unit with transitional care facilities, dedicated operating theatres, and a paediatric assessment unit.

Work has already started on the site, which should be completed and open by 2028.

Part of what levelling-up means for me is making sure that women and children in our community can access the best quality care for their babies and families right here in Truro. I will continue working with my Cornish MP colleagues to deliver on this and other projects for Cornwall now and in the future.

As always, I am fully focused on the job at hand and if there is ever anything at all I can do to help, then please do not hesitate to contact me. Please get in touch with me by email at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk , or by telephone on 01872 229698. My regular constituency advice surgeries are held in a covid-safe environment at my office, so please do get in touch should you wish to meet me about any matters that I can be of assistance with.

No comments:

Post a Comment