Thursday 10 March 2022

Newspaper column 10 March 2022 - St Piran's Day and Ships and Castles

 

This past weekend saw Cornwall unite to celebrate St Piran’s Day, the national day of Cornwall, with events taking place across our county to mark the occasion.

With pandemic restrictions in place, last year saw these events marked virtually for the first time, but this year, with covid measures lifted and normality returning it was great to be able to be back out there in the community celebrating this special day for us all.

I was honoured to take part in the St Piran’s Day Parade in Truro, which with its incredible community involvement from all ages, rousing rendition of Trelawny, in which we were led enthusiastically by the Truro Male Voice Choir, and numerous blessings of the day from a variety of people, really encapsulates all that this day is about.

I said a few words myself from the steps of the Cathedral and as I looked out over the packed High Cross, I could only think that the ‘Onen hag oll’ (One and all) spirit which we have in Cornwall has not only steered us all through a real time of adversity, but has seen us come through stronger than ever on the other side.

On less positive news, last week saw a decision of Cornwall Council, following an extraordinary meeting of their Cabinet, to end the procurement process for Ships and Castles leisure centre in Falmouth .

On the day the agenda for this meeting was published following the papers being released for I wrote to all of Cornwall Council’s Cabinet expressing my complete disappointment with the recommendations from the officers – recommending that Ships and Castles should close.

Since the initial consultation, I have made my opposition to the closure of Ships and Castles very clear. I do believe the representations I have made, and continue to make, are reflective of the current mood in Falmouth and the wider community. This site means so much, to so many. We must safeguard its future, and Falmouth and Penryn need a viable leisure centre and swimming pool.

I have also written to the Rt Hon Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, asking for his assistance in this matter. I have also reached out to Falmouth Town Council and the two universities locally. As a community, we must work together – now more than ever.

Now that Cornwall Council have made this decision I will be putting pressure on them to move at speed to follow through on another recommendation that they voted on Friday, that alternative options be developed for leisure provision for the Falmouth and Penryn area which may include the disposal of the Falmouth Ships and Castles site. I want to work with all of the groups mentioned above to both protect the iconic headland site for the community and also ensure a sensible and achievable leisure solution is arrived at for Falmouth and the surrounding area as soon as possible. As I said earlier it is only by working together, one and all, that we will get the outcome we need and deserve.

As ever, if you need my assistance with anything then my team and I are here to help. Please get in touch with me by email at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk , or by telephone on 01872 229698. My regular constituency advice surgeries are held in a covid-safe environment at my office, so please do get in touch should you wish to meet me about any matters that I can be of assistance with.

No comments:

Post a Comment