Thursday 6 January 2022

Newspaper column 6 January 2022 - Looking forward

 

Well this is my first column of 2022, again written in December to fit in with newspaper print deadlines, and I wish you all a Happy New Year.

After spending my last column reflecting back on events and achievements from 2021, for this week’s edition I wanted to look forward to what we can expect for 2022.

I will be continuing to work with local NHS and colleagues in Government to bring forward the exciting plans for a new Women and Children’s Hospital at Treliske. These plans are now well under way and I hope to see them break ground on this site in 2022. This will provide important new facilities for women and children across Cornwall as well as take pressure off existing services.

The work has already started on the dualling of the A30 between Carland Cross and Chiverton Cross, and I look forward to this continuing at pace through 2022 with completion now on the horizon. Once this upgrade is completed it will completely change the face of travel along Cornwall’s main road, unlocking economical benefits and removing what is always a nightmare of travel for local people and visitors alike over the summer months.

I will also continue to work with the Department for Education and Cornwall Council on bringing forward the plans for a new secondary school in the northern part of the constituency to better service the Perranporth, St Newlyn East and Goonhavern communities. This has been long-needed and will take the pressure off schools in Truro where a lot of these areas currently feed into.

I also look forward to seeing the Towns Funds bid for Truro continue to bear fruit and work with local people, businesses and organisations, as well as Cornwall Council and the Government to bring these exciting plans which will transform our city, forward. As well as plans for Truro, it is important that Falmouth and Penryn does not get left behind and I will continue to lobby Government on bringing forward funding to truly level up these communities.

I will also be working with our police to understand the impact of the funding in Falmouth and Penryn to combat violence against women and girls and will be making the case for this scheme to be expanded across Cornwall, something which has the support of our Police and Crime Commissioner Alison Hernandez as part of her recently announced Police and Crime Plan for Devon and Cornwall.

These are just a few of the local priorities that I hope to continue to deliver for you as your Member of Parliament over the coming year and I look forward to continuing to deliver for you as your caring and compassionate constituency MP in 2022 and beyond.

My office has now reopened following the Christmas break. If you need my assistance with anything then my team and I are here to help. Please get in touch with me by email at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk , or by telephone on 01872 229698. I have now restarted my regular constituency advice surgeries, held in a covid-safe environment, so please do get in touch should you wish to meet me about any matters that I can be of assistance with.

No comments:

Post a Comment