Thursday 29 July 2021

Newspaper column 29 July - Rising for Recess

Parliament rose for Summer Recess on Thursday last week. Summer Recess means that Parliament does not sit until September.

Although Parliament is not sitting, I will still be busy in Truro and Falmouth, out and about visiting local people and businesses to talk about what matters to you. Please get in touch if you would like me to come and visit your business or group during Recess.

Last year I also did a charity walk during the Recess, and this year I will be doing one again - this time I will be walking from the south coast of our constituency to the north coast - Portholland to Perranporth - about 25 miles over some diverse terrain with lots of ups and downs.

I will be doing the walk for the Cornwall Wildlife Trust who continue to be an incredible local charity which does so much good work across Cornwall for our wildlife and environment.

To find out more and to donate, follow the link below:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/cherilyn-mackrory

Prior to Parliament rising, I held a debate in Parliament about reducing baby loss - an issue very close to my heart.Every day in the UK, around 14 babies die before, during or soon after birth.

Earlier this month, I had the pleasure of speaking with some members of our excellent midwifery team at the Royal Cornwall Hospital in my constituency.

The entire bereavement midwifery team at Treliske is outstanding. I continue to be in awe of our local team, how they do such a difficult job, are able to support families at their lowest ebb and continue to take special care of our babies after they have died.

The impact of COVID on these issues seems to be a mixed bag, which is against the expectation. There was a peak still birth and neonatal death in March 2020 and another in January 2021. In Cornwall, our team points to a “slow and steady decline” in the numbers since 2010. There have been 2 stillbirths this year so far. In a so-called usual year there would have been between 8 and 12 by now. It is difficult to commend this figure, however, as the team don’t really know what to attribute it to; apart from natural peaks and troughs. It could be a temporary irregularity and more research will need to be done to find a pattern. Also, this is no comfort at all to the two Cornish families who have suffered this unbearable loss.

So, what needs to be done to reduce baby loss?

Action is needed to address staffing shortfalls in maternity services, more funding is required to embed on-going and sustainable access to training for maternity staff and funding to backfill cover when training takes place would also be desirable. We also need to be involving families in a compassionate manner as a crucial part of the investigation process.

We are just past the half-way point on this important journey to 2025. I would like to thank all healthcare professionals who have contributed to the successes so far. I would like to call on the Government to work with them to achieve the rest and save as many lives as possible in the future.

As ever, if you need my assistance with anything then my team and I are here to help. Please get in touch with me by email at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk , or by telephone on 01872 229698. I have now restarted my regular constituency advice surgeries, held in a covid-safe environment at my office, so please do get in touch should you wish to meet me about any matters that I can be of assistance with.

No comments:

Post a Comment