Thursday 7 May 2020

Newspaper column 7 May 2020 - COVID update 8


We are now in the seventh week of lockdown. I am expecting the Government to publish more details of how it plans to start easing the lockdown shortly after the Prime Minister announced last week that we are now past the peak of the pandemic.

However we must balance the need to ease the lockdown with ensuring that we do not get a ‘second wave’ of the virus, which could put us back to square one in terms of dealing with it.

My team and I have been working flat out to support hard-working businesses in Truro and Falmouth during the COVID-19 crisis. I have been pleased to see the Government listening to feedback from me and other MP colleagues and at released additional funding to support businesses who have not been able to access it until now.

Up to an additional £617 million of funding will be made available to local authorities in England to assist with small businesses that have not already been able to access business rates support. This will support many businesses such as those at the Innovation Hub and B&B’s currently not eligible for Business Rates and I look forward to working with them and Cornwall Council to make sure they get this support quickly.

Earlier this week I also welcomed confirmation from the Government at the weekend that hundreds of local business partnerships across England will share £6.1m of funding to spend on projects that will help their local economies through the uncertainty of the coronavirus pandemic.

This money will be paid to local authorities and dispersed to Business Improvement Districts (BIDs). These are local business partnerships that bring developers and communities together to provide local leadership, drive regeneration and deliver projects and additional local services.

We have excellent BIDs in Truro and Falmouth and I was pleased to work with them to make the sensible case for additional funding from the Government at this time. I am delighted that my Ministerial colleagues have listened and know this funding will make a big and positive difference to our town centres. I look forward to seeing the detail of the funding and for it deployed and put to work helping the business communities in our towns.

Finally, tomorrow we will be celebrating the 75th Anniversary of Victory in Europe (VE) Day where we celebrate the day the Allied Powers received the unconditional surrender of Nazi Germany, ending the European front of the Second World War. We have a Bank Holiday to mark the occasion but due to lockdown all of the public events to celebrate have been cancelled. I hope we will do all our bit in our households to remember the sacrifice so many made so we could live free today, and it is good to see the Blitz Spirit return as our communities continue to rally in a time of adversity. 

Thanks to everyone for your ongoing efforts and until next week, stay safe and stay at home wherever possible!

My team and I are here to help during this crisis. You can email me at Cherilyn.mackrory.mp@parliament.uk, call me on 0207 2193713 (messages will be picked up), and my website www.cherilynmackrory.org.uk and Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thisischerilyn are all regularly updated with matters relating both to the current crisis and other useful news and information. Please do get in touch if you need any help or have questions for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment